Monday, October 6, 2008

Why did I study Accounting?

Because I don't really do it anymore. I write evaluations, create budgets, talk to clients, and put out fires. When I was younger, I never said, "When I grow up, I want to write evaluations, create budgets, talk to clients, and put out fires." Well, I did say I wanted to be a fireman, but that's missing the point. Actually, come to think of it, I didn't grow up wanting to be an accountant. Life hit me in college and I picked something that would pay my bills and provide opportunities for me outside work. But the fact of the matter is that my profession does not excite me (yawn). And with that, I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

Julie said...

If you do any one thing enough, it becomes mundane. I totally get your thoughts about accounting. I've been doing dentistry for 20 years and the only thing that keeps me going is the people. New people, new stories and knowing that I can help them in some way. I guess that's why the medical/dental profession always appealed to me. Hang in there, Jason! Life has a way of making things new again :)

Jessica Martiele said...

I wish I could say, "Here, take this job...be a lawyer, be a doctor, be a stunt man" because I think you'd have more fun at any of them...but heck, love, you've already come pretty dang close to paying your proverbial dues, and I think the time will come - and not too far distant, particularly when compared to how long you've been waiting thus far - where you'll really begin to see the fruits of your efforts. Hang in there, love. Everything will be okay.