When Jess and I were living in Provo and I was at BYU, there was this place across the street from our complex that had the best east Indian cuisine ever called the Bombay House. It is on the southwest corner of University Avenue and 500 West (kiddy-corner from the old Brigham Young Academy building). I have never had Indian food equal to theirs since leaving the area, so whenever I get back to Provo I always make it a point to stop by for a meal.The minute you walk through the door, the aroma of burning incense hits you and you find yourself in a dimly lit welcome area. The sounds of strange music and a woman singing in a strange language fills the restaurant in a subdued volume. The restaurant is family owned, and everyone is of middle-eastern descent. One time I sat at a table near the kitchen, and I overheard the servers speaking to the kitchen staff in some middle-eastern dialect.
Anyway, the ambience is soft and conducive to quiet conversation with whoever you are with. The atmosphere makes you believe you stepped half-way around the world. Then there's the food (no menu necessary -- I already know what I want):
"For starters, I would like the Vegetable Samosa. Then I'd like as an entree the Chicken Coconut Kurma and Garlic Naan. To drink, I'd like a Strawberry Lassie."
I"ve had Samosas and Kurmas elsewhere, and it tastes like dirt compared to this place (except -- ahem -- of course, any Kurma or Samosa Jess makes). To get a real feel for how good the food is, you'd have to experience it for yourself. Even if you aren't big on Indian cuisine, you have to like this restaurant's food. A perfect date-night dinner.



2 comments:
OH MY YUUUUUUMMM!!! You don't wax rhapsodic about food like I do, I know, but I was at least hoping to hear something about the creamy yogurt-based Lassi, or the right coconut flavor and super-fat cashews in the Kurma, Jason, come on here! :) And...thanks for bringing back that naan and samosa...even day-old naan and samosa from Bombay House is better than anything we could get out here!
Hey! Where's the pictures of our House you Stalker?
Post a Comment