Anybody remember the old ScoobyDoo episodes we watched as kids where, after capturing the villain and pulling off his/her mask, they would always say something like, "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!"Kids have a way of meddling in everything. Once kids come along, forget owning anything nice, and forget having a moment's peace. You have to have the patience of Job, the forgiving nature of a saint, and the astute and clever nature of a fox. They will push you into psychological realms you didn't think existed within you. And contrary to what you may tell yourself before you actually have kids, they will not listen to you (for futher insights on the complexities of parenthood, I refer you to Bill Cosby who eloquently illustrated the plight of parenthood).
Take my kids, for example. By and large, I think people would say they are cute kids. But in looking and interacting with them, you'd wonder how they were fruits of the same womb. Worlds apart. The parenting techniques that worked with the one have no effect on the other. And do not be fooled by the pictures of these sweet-looking, innocent faces. Beneath them are personalities of a devious nature that is certain to keep you on your toes.
Then there are the "Oh my goodness, I've become my father" moments. Just today, I heard repetitive loud banging against the kids' bedroom wall. I opened up the door and asked Tyler what was going on. After about 15 seconds of stammering on his part, I looked around him and decided to use deductive reasoning: "Were you throwing your football against the wall?" "Um, I, um... yeah." I then gave the speech I had heard a thousand times as a kid from my own father -- balls belong outside, our bedroom is not a playground, yada yada yada. We finally compromised and propped some pillows up in a corner so he could throw his football at them.
It's funny how when I envisioned my life with kids -- before they actually came along, my envisioned life was so much more orderly, organized, and stress-free. Everything was perfect. But then these two came along and threw a serious kink in all of my plans. I had everything planned out for my life, and I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for these meddling kids.



3 comments:
I loved this Jason because it is so true and yet so funny. When I was single and in a store watching parents deal with misbehaved children I knew all the answers. If they would only do.....that would take care of the matter. Later, when I became a mom and tried some of those ideas I thought would work, they didn't. Now what? No manual to turn to it became trial and error. Probably more error than anything. Anyway, in spite of my lack of parenting skills I'm happy to say that somehow my children became wonderful adults whom I feel are far better at parenting than I was. So, give yourself a pat on the back because I think you are doing a great job (Jessica too) and from my gr.parent point of view there isn't a thing wrong with any of your darlings nor do they do anything wrong. You have to be making it all up!!
This was HILARIOUS! Lets see...how do I support your POV without implicating my little darling Nephew and Neice? LOL. Parenting is tough, especially since each little body holds within it a separate and distinct personality. Kids make us get our hands dirty with life. Who wants to get to the other side all pristine anyways?!
I think your Mom just liked this because she knows you're getting your just desserts. :) You know, Mom, I was one of those same people in the store thinking "if they would just..." and now, as a parent, not only do those tactics not work, but with Mommy-brain, I don't even remember what I was thinking MIGHT work back then! And Julie, they're my kids, too, so implicate away. :) Either way, love, we'll survive it...and so will our meddling kids. Love you!
Post a Comment